Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Smoking to the Oldies!



Now that I'm graduating from college with my bachelors in Journalism, I'm realizing that bills come before smoking weed. Now, I don't want to quit smoking anytime soon, and I don't plan on it, but there's supposed to come a time where I quit, right? Wrong.

I'm with Tracie Morrissey over at Jezebel who challenges the idea at the core. While I acknowledge that I need to find an alternative source of income for my vices, I refuse to acknowledge that I have to quit. Cut down, maybe, but not any time in the very near future.

Smoking has somehow become something that only college kids and deadbeats do. But I know lawyers, lobbyists, teachers, parents, bus drivers are all people too, and people have smoked marijuana since... well, since forever ago in China some 2000 years B.C. or something (it's been a long time since I wrote that Hemp paper...).

So what's with the taboo? Need I remind you I'm GRADUATING COLLEGE in 4 WEEKS?! With a pretty damn good GPA, I might add. For the last 3 years, I've been smoking almost every day. Weekly, at the very least. And over the last 3 years I've completed some prestigious internships, designed a book, held down a job, had this blog (okay, so there's my downfall!) and maintained and created new relationships. Apparently, as a stoner I'm not supposed to have all that. I'm supposed to work at Dunkin Donuts, live in a dump, and be a loser.

You're never too old to smoke weed. If Willie Nelson didn't make clear, let me make it clear to you; You are never too old to smoke weed. For medicinal reasons, or for recreational reasons, it's your right to toke up.

And don't get me started on the alcohol argument. It's a joke. When did you last hear about two stoners getting in a fight outside of a dispensary and killing someone? Uh, never. But I can think about countless times I've seen bar fights, and not on the news, but legit, spilling-onto-Boylston-street bar fights. When was the last time a guy got stoned and beat his wife? Someone died from drinking too much? Exactly. I personally would much rather smoke a joint. Drinking is like gambling, half the time it puts my acid reflux into overdrive making me puke and half the time I'll be okay, but the next day I'm not 100%, it makes me feel tired and brain-dead. Pass the joint, please.

Wahh, wahh. I get high. AND I ACCOMPLISH THINGS! And guess what? I'm not going to stop. I'm going to not only function as a stoner, but I'm going to be successful as a stoner. Watch me.

p.s. Today's smoothie was awesome. I used canned peaches, blackberry pomegranate yogurt, frozen raspberries, mango nectar, and two handfuls of almonds. Uhm, I feel so healthy. Except, last night I was craving a cheeseburger...

1 comment:

Dominique (Nikki) Minor said...

Hey, I just ran across your blog on StumbleUpon. I can totally relate to a lot of the posts--I'm also a journalism student and I'm graduating in December. It's encouraging to see someone who loves smoking, writing, and being fashionable. Good luck!! I look forward to blogs from you.