Friday, January 2, 2009

poke.

Six months ago, in the oppressive August sun of Texas I drove my moms old Chevy Blazer to the Planned Parenthood in the ghetto. I filled out my medicaid paper work (the only time it really pays to be lower-class latina) and wait in the familiar waiting room. I've been here so many times, and even regularly see old friends from high school here. I religiously get tested every 6 months.

And now, it's just about that time again. I'm getting tested Tuesday. Perhaps my resolution for 2009 should be to be a bit safer. I'm way too trusting sometimes. This is all on my mind because of my professor's book that I'm reading, the gay one, Boston Boys Club. It's really good but one of the characters is in the midst of an HIV scare. I cried when I read it. Thats not something to fuck with.

In August my pre-screening HIV swab came out reactive. They had to draw blood and I had to wait 7 days for the results. I was high most of the time, but it was so nerve wrecking. I had a gay uncle back in the early 90s who had HIV, he passed away from AIDs shortly after I turned 5. It's a scary, scary process, but the peace of mind, and the freedom when I found out I was negative was a greater reward.

So, in lieu of that, any serious partners I have this year, I'm insisting get tested, and I'm going to start being that girl with half a pack of Trojan's in her purse, just in case. Aside from that, my friends have had way too many pregnancy scares, and should probably just buy each other CVS gift cards for Plan B. I won't lie, I've taken it once that I can remember this semester. Next year I'm going to make it none, play it safe, follow the rules. I suggest you all do the same as well if you're sexually active. It's the best way to ensure a good new year and more to come.

Ok, there's my little Public Service Announcement, back to my book so I can start on my new one, This Is Your Brain on Music.

No comments: