Friday, July 11, 2008

"You look like you just woke up!" -coworker

This morning after my bff/future roommate Bee called me, I strolled down to the unnamed coffee shop in which I work to get a green tea lemonade. It was after 11 a.m. on my day off, so of course I was already stoned. I pretty much threw on some clothes and sunglasses and ran out the door. I didn't even put my contacts on.

So there I am squinting in the middle of the square trying to see if cars are coming or not and I remember I need to pick up the most recent issue of my favorite weekly. I pick it up and lo and behold, their controversial glossy cover has transformed back to the not-so-forgotten matte cover. The journalist inside of me squealed with happiness and I was smiling from ear to ear, as my eyes excitedly skimmed the pages to see if the change would be permanent. It is! I did a little happy dance in my head and giggled as I crossed the street.

And that story brings me to one of my biggest loves: journalism. I can't believe what a huge journalism nerd I am, but really, you have no idea the joy I get from copy editing the Metro on the subway in the morning, or reading the local paper and knowing when there's an AP style error, or good/bad page design. I have so many dreams and goals I want to achieve. Many people think "stoners" and "potheads" are ambitionless people with no goals or plans for the future. The opposite could not be any less true when it comes to me. All through high school I was an honor student and an editor for the school yearbook and now I'm entering my sophomore year at a well-established, private communications and arts school in New England. I'm majoring in print and multimedia journalism and minoring in magazine publishing. Next semester I want to enter the consortium program at a well-known New England music school to take classes in music business and management. My dream is to be a music journalist, despite the dying industry. I'd love to move out of the country within the next 10 years, I want to travel a lot more too. I like to think I have a way with money, being that I almost always have it. I'm really good at saving and at only 18 am about to start my 401(k). Have you ever heard of a more financially responsible, pot smoking, teenager before? I didn't think so.

No comments: